Vitamin D - Marketing & Design
Important Google Update and How it Will Impact Your Website Ranking
September 6, 2022 By Natalia Decius MARKETING
In August 2022, Google made changes to the algorithm that determines how websites rank in search results. If you are a business owner, content creator, or website manager, keep reading to learn how to make this update a positive one for your business.
This update, which Google refers to as the “helpful content update,” was launched to ensure that the information showing up in people’s search results is fresh, original, and, above all, helpful, and that it was written by a human rather than an AI-driven bot.
In order to write content that ranks well under this new update, here is what to focus on when you’re planning and writing.
Write for people, not search engines
You’re a person, so write for other people. It may sound simple, but there is a lot of content floating around on the Internet that was written for the simple purpose of improving the searchability of a website instead of providing knowledge to readers. Don’t do that. Instead, write content that provides value to the reader – content that answers the question that people are turning to search engines to ask.
Wondering how to do this?
- Before you write, define the audience you’re targeting – the group of people your content is meant to help. Then, make sure that every sentence you write is written specifically for this group.
- When choosing your topics, avoid subjects that you already have content to cover. Some creators will write about a single topic from many angles in hopes that some will perform well in the search engines.
- Choose topics that you know something about. Avoid choosing topics just because they’re popular.
- Highlight your first-hand experiences in the area you’re writing about in order to showcase yourself as a subject-matter expert.
- Take a new angle, or a fresh perspective when you write your content, rather than simply re-writing what’s already out there.
- Ensure your website has a clearly defined subject or focus.
- Write content that teaches people something – ensure that after reading your content, people walk away having learned something about a particular topic. They turned to a search engine because they had a question. It’s your responsibility to answer it.
- Stay up to date on Google’s core updates and product reviews and integrate any information that’s relevant to your work.
If you’re ready to review your content strategy and talk to the experts about how this update will impact your business specifically, call our team at Vitamin D Marketing & Design today. We’ll schedule a consultation to review the current status of your website and content, and work with you to build a content strategy that works for your unique business objectives.
Everything You Need to Know About Instagram Hashtags
August 26, 2022 By Natalia Decius / Editorial credit: Mehaniq / Shutterstock.com MARKETING
Social media trends and algorithms are constantly changing. What’s crucial one month can be forgotten the next, so, when setting your social media strategy, it’s important to leave space for continuous evolution and the opportunity to make changes.
Hashtags are part of every comprehensive social media strategy, including the way you plan to market your brand on Instagram. When you maximize the benefit of hashtags, your Instagram posts will be seen not only by more people, but by the right people – the people you are targeting with your social media marketing efforts.
According to Instagram, there are nine different types of hashtags you can use for your business.
- Hashtags that describe your product or service, like #yoga or #florist
- Hashtags that go deeper and call out the particular niche your business falls under, like #infraredyofa or #weddingflorist
- Hashtags for an industry-related community, like #yogastudiosofinstagram or #instagramweddingflorists
- Hashtags that highlight a specific event or time of year, like #sundayyogainthepark or #springweddingflorals
- Hashtags that focus on a particular location, like #yogaintoronto or #calgaryflorists
- Hashtags that call out the day of the week, like #malasanamondays or #floralfridays
- Hashtags calling out exactly what you do, like #dailyyogapractice or #stoptosmelltheroses
- Hashtags that use popular acronyms, like #tbt (for throwback Thursday) or #pov (for point of view)
- Lastly, hashtags with emojis, like # 🧘♀️ and # 💐 🌺
Every audience is different, so test out a variety of these hashtags to see what works the best for your specific audience and the followers you are hoping to attract.
Here are some tips on using hashtags to attract more followers:
- Check how popular the hashtag is but remember that more usage doesn’t always mean it’s better. Searching a hashtag will give you clarity into how often it’s used. By using hashtags with varied levels of popularity, you can reach different audiences with the same post.
- Use a variety of hashtags in list format. Try incorporating examples from a few of the types of hashtags listed above into your posts. For example, if you own a yoga studio in Winnipeg you could add: #yogisofwinnipeg, #yogaeveryday, #yogabecauseyolo, #yogaretreatwinnipeg etc.
- Keep things fresh. You probably have a few favourite hashtags that you use on nearly every post. Next time you’re setting up a new post, try entering one of those hashtags into the Instagram search function and see what alternatives auto populate. Give those a try. They may just become your new favourites.
- Measure the performance of your hashtags. Instagram provides you the opportunity to objectively measure how your hashtags are performing – just tap the ‘view insights’ tab to see the number of impressions your post generated through its hashtags.
If your social media strategy is due for a refresh and you’re ready to talk to the experts, call the team at Vitamin D Marketing & Design today. We’ll set up a consultation to discuss your goals and build you an Instagram strategy that will take your brand to the next level.
5 Best Dental Marketing Ideas to Grow Your Practice
March 25, 2022 By Natalia Decius DENTAL MARKETING
If you own a dental practice, you’re probably more focused on patient care than figuring out what the latest marketing trend is to include in your dental marketing strategy. This is understandable, but how will you attract more new patients to your dental practice? How will you continue to grow when you don’t put yourself out there and don’t have a solid game plan?
In regards to health care, patients typically go online to examine their options through search engines or their provider’s website. They’ll also use general health information sites for research. Furthermore, what they find discover online affects their decision on the care they will seek.
So, have you looked at your marketing ROI dashboard lately? If you don’t have that set up yet, this is your sign to do so. And if you already have one but there hasn’t been any movement for quite a while, now’s the best time to look into new ideas.
Below are five ideas to promote your practice and attract quality new patients.
There’s nothing quite like Google My Business, especially when you want to take the location-based marketing approach a little more seriously. For any business that wants a more solid online presence, this is usually the first step. If you don’t have one already, take the time to build a Google My Business listing.
The best thing about this tool? It’s free! Google My Business assists dentists and other business owners in managing their web presence across the search engine. So if you’re looking for ways to acquire new patients, this is the way to go.
Once you have this setup, your clinic’s name will be displayed along with a list of nearby dentists. Your prospective patients will then see information about your services, including your address, business hours, website, reviews, and so on.
Don’t forget to completely fill out the important information about your business:
- Business category
- Business hours
- Business description
- Contact information (email, phone number, etc.)
- Scope of services
- Continue to acquire new Google reviews
Another way to target new patients in your area is to create Local Awareness ads. It’s tempting to spread the word about your dental business to everyone in the entire country, but it's very important to be specific about who you market to.
You probably don't want to advertise your practice outside of a 10-mile radius. It’s not going to help you or your potential patients.
Local Awareness advertisements are a wonderful way to reach a local audience. You can even provide locally relevant information about your dental practice, such as the address, distance to the business, hours of operation, and a "Get directions" link. Your CTA could even be a phone button, prompting your new patients to schedule an appointment with your practice.
Be very honest with us: when was the last time you updated your website? First impressions matter, and if your website looks like it was designed in the early 2000s, you're going to have a hard time attracting new patients. Patients do not want to be treated in an unappealing environment. Plus, it’s going to look sketchy, making it harder to gain their trust. That’s why a well-designed dentistry website is no longer an option.
The way your website works is a direct reflection of how customers expect you to work. It's not a good start for your patients if your website is badly designed and the information about your practice is difficult to access.
Since patients are also looking for convenience, consider adding the following features to upgrade your website:
- Online scheduling
- Online patient forms
- Live chat
- Profiles of the dentists in your practice
- Valuable and informative content
Every local SEO strategy relies heavily on customer reviews. It’s important for your practice to get reviews consistently and on a regular basis. Google is the most significant source for acquiring reviews. You can never have too many reviews on this platform.
Avoid just stuffing your reviews into a patient management software portal. They won’t do anything for your business. If you’re having a hard time getting patient reviews, try the following:
- At the end of their appointment, ask them to make a small video testimonial
- Request that they leave a Google review for you by sending them a link
- Send them an email and inquire about it
- Message them on Facebook and ask them about it
For patients that don’t have a gmail address, ask them to review you on Facebook.
5. Try Video
Video is still the king of content. It’s a great way to attract new patients and keep them interested. Video with real people from your practice can help your prospects form a personal connection with you, which can lead to trust, recommendations, and more appointments.
Here are some video ideas that your practice can execute:
- Dental practice introduction
- Doctor profile videos
- Patient review videos
- Educational videos
- Procedure and treatment videos
Grow Your Practice By Working With The Right Dental Marketing Expert
Dentistry is a competitive business (especially in Ontario) and perspective new patients have a lot of options. What makes you unique and what helps you stand out? Hiring a marketing pro will help you identify your business opportunities to help you grow.
When you implement the above ideas into your digital marketing efforts, you’ll have a better chance of attracting more and more people and keeping them as loyal patients. Just make sure to do everything consistently and with intention. Even in marketing, never do anything half-heartedly.
If you’re looking for comprehensive help and someone invested in your success, choose Vitamin D Marketing as your marketing partner.
Practice Transition – Setting Up Your Dental Office For Success
December 2, 2021 By Natalia Decius DENTAL MARKETING
Congratulations on the purchase of your new dental office. Now that you have gone through all the appraisal, legal and financial matters, the fun begins! To ensure a successful patient retention rate and a new patient acquisition, consider the following marketing strategies below:
Professional communication with your existing patient file to communicate exciting updates in the practice and start building long lasting relationships. Done in print and email format for maximum impact.
Professional Photography + Video
Photos for the website, new doctor and team photos displaying togetherness will build trust and confidence.
Take it a step further by having a practice introduction video used to create a welcoming image of the practice and help acquire new patients.
Website update or re-design will be required to introduce the new changes within the practice while ensuring the image reflects the new vision of the purchasing doctor.
Social Media Manager
Use Facebook and Instagram to start a two-way dialog with your patient file and the local community around the practice. We have a variety of social media packages to suit your business goals and budget.
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
We will help you determine the best website optimization plan to boost your online visibility and help you grow.
Give us a call to request a practice transition check list and create a carefully planned practice transition plan. Vitamin D Marketing & Design is here to assist with all your dental practice marketing needs.